[AMPS] AL-80 Excessive Grid Current METER Shunt SCHEMATIC Solved

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] AL-80 Excessive Grid Current METER Shunt SCHEMATIC Solved
From: mike@g0mjw.freeserve.co.uk (G0MJW)
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 09:09:52 -0000

> The hard way, I finally figured out that this AL-80 came with the wrong
> meter and face in it

What was that I said about making sure the reading was real? I have never
come across that one before but it is always a good idea to check a meter as
what is on the scale and what the current is can be very different if
external shunts and multipliers are assumed. Typically, a 750mA meter is a
100uA meter with a shunt inside to make it really read like a 750mA one, but
not always.

I expect there were some instructions somewhere to divide the grid current
by 3, but these never made it to Lu.

At least it was safe, imagine if it had been the other way and poor Lu was
running 450mA grid current thinking it was only 150mA. Not good for the
3-500Z - though possibly nice and clean.

Mike