[AMPS] Wire size

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Wire size
From: bknox@rfapps.com (Bruce R. Knox)
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 08:33:08 -0500
Vic:

To do this empirically, you can find tables of DC resistance of wire @75
degrees C per 1000 feet in the National Electrical Code (Chapter 9, Table 8
1990 NEC for example). Here are some numbers for your scenario (assuming 16
feet of copper wire):

#12 is 7.77 ohms per 1000 feet:  16*7.77/1000 = .124 ohms * 120 amps = 15
volts .... real bad!  -number provided for fun :-)
#4 is 0.308 ohms per 1000 feet: 16*0.308/1000 = 0.0049 ohms * 120 amps =
591 mV
#2 is 0.194 (blah blah...) = 372 mV
#00 is 0.0967 = 185 mV

etc....

Again, the values given are for wire @ 75C (assumes temperature rise and
ambient).  You probably won't be subject to too much rise unless you're
going to be running RTTY or you use something much smaller than #4 AWG.  By
the way, aluminum conductors are typically 50% higher in resistance
compared to the same length of copper conductors so be careful if you
decide to use aluminum range/dryer/service entry cable!   You'd need a
minimum of #2 if you do use aluminum.

Running real big wire doesn't buy you much past #4 copper in my opinion.

The NEC requirements for wire size take the typical length of branch
circuits in to account when they specify the wire size for a given branch
circuit breaker trip  current.  It is still up to the designer/installer to
assure that the voltage drop of a given circuit is within acceptable norms
(3-5% maximum on a branch circuit).  Bottom line is they won't let you go
smaller than what their tables say for a given circuit, but you often have
to go bigger if the circuit is long.

Hope this helps,

Bruce R. Knox W8GN
RF Applications, Inc.