[AMPS] Wire size

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Wire size
From: da_kang@hotmail.com (Jeff Wolf)
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2000 07:38:03 PST
I'm going to power a solid state amp with about 120 amps of 13vdc.  I'll
need
about 6-8 feet of wire to get from the PS to the amp.  What wire size should
use?

73,
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA

Vic,

First, you ever find one of those Pride amps for your QRP rigs?

Second...

For your application I am assuming your running app 8 transistors?

I use #2 guage out the back of my 8 transistor amplifiers.  All
interconnects are done with #8 wire (inside the amp).

Another thing you might want to do to keep peak current and voltage up is
take a remote sense to the closest point to the collectors of the
transistors (probably the interconnect from your power supply wire to the
input of the amp).

FYI, I run 8 transistors, 16 transistors and 32 transistors (all 2SC2879s)
mobile.  I use 4X165 Amp Leece Neville alternators to power the 32
transistor amplifier... I have found that an 8 transistor amplifier will
draw app 20 amps per device, and that works out to 20 amps a piece...  More,
if you run higher than about 14 volts on the collector (it is common to run
about 18 volts DC on the collectors).

I run 4/0 guage from the alternator bank to a battery bank (the entire
length of my Suburban), as well as a single #12 wire from the voltage
regulator to the battery bank.

When doing this project, remember one thing...  You can never run big enough
wire....

AND STAY AWAY FROM THOSE QUICK DISCONNECTs!  I have seen over a volt drop
from them in the past..  They suck.  If it doesn't work on compression, it
doesn't go in my station.

Just some notes from a lowly CBer.

Toll Free
www.bigradios.com/tollfree