[AMPS] Fil voltage al-1200

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Fil voltage al-1200
From: measures@vcnet.com (measures)
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 10:16:51 -0700

>At 07:26 PM 2/8/2000 -0600, Phil Clements wrote:
>>Parsing your posts is just
>>Rich's way of
>>easing out of moot points.
>
>I can't parse amps with you guys, but English is another story -- a moot
>point is one that doesn't matter.  The point of Rich's maneuver is to avoid
>admitting he /ever/ makes a mistake.

?  What does Eimac say, Pete?
thanks

Methinks Rich makes plenty of mistakes.  An example was when I received
the invitation to write the amplifiers chapter for the 1995 Handbook.  My
gut feeling was that -- even though they said as much in the letter  --
the League was probably not ready to take the prime-time plunge of
excising all of the egregious faux pas of past Handbooks in one fell
swoop .  .  .  .Nevertheless, I tossed caution to the wind and signed the
League ''contract'' to write Chapter 13.
.  I took the League at its word and wrote with the intent of questioning
everything from the past that did not seem to hold water.  .  As I was
writing the section on HV-RFCs, I received a strange feeling as I related
that leaving gaps in the winding results in virtually no measureable
difference in choke resonances.  The reason is rather obviously that end
to end inductances couple optimally, so the choke essentially acts as a
single choke. .  In other words, to decouple inductances, one mounts them
at right angles.
.   A large problem is that the ancient, worshipful, League guru who
invented the gapped HV-RFC would be disrespected by posting the result of
resonance measurements.   //  Who can forget QST's cover photo of a
miraculous match-anything and everything, ferrite-torrid core
autotransformer with various taps (similar to a''Variac").  For example,
to match 50-ohms to 12.5-ohms, simply pick the half winding tap.   The
only problem is that it does not work.  The reason is that all the flux
lines in the ferrite core from the secondary do not couple to all of the
flux lines in core's primary.   A simple test with a swr meter and
various loads would have easily revealed this, however, the fly in the
ointment is that it would have been most disrespectful to his
worshipfullness to even think of performing such a test in the ARRL Lab.
.  About ten years ago, QST Staff member Dave Newkirk and I were
discussing the published-error problem.  Dave told me that one of more
interesting things at Newington was to see a group of young disciples
accompanying one of the worshipful ones to and from lunch.  It sounded
like a scene from the most-wonderful adventures of the Bagwan Rajneesh.
.  Throughout Sicily, Hiram Percy is deeply revered as one of world's
truly great inventors, mainly because of his invention of the silencer,
which happens to be a very useful tool to certain ''mechanics''.
However, in Newington, this is not mentioned.  .Different strokes for
different folks.

cheers