[AMPS] Resistors

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Resistors
From: measures@vcnet.com (measures)
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 08:14:52 -0700
>1. Can the resistance of a carborundum type noninductive
>resistor be altered by shortening its length and still
>be useable?

yes

> I have only one now and don't want to damage it.

If it has too much R, it can be cut down with carbide saw.

>2. With a 8169 grid driven tetrode, can I have too much
>C from each side of the filament to ground?

Yes.  Large capacitors tend to have more internal L.  A good bypass
should have minimal L.  For bypassing each side of the filament of a
large tetrode, I use multiple HV disc-ceramic capacitors of three
different values, all in parallel.  I like to limit the peak current in
each cap. to 1A, so for an 8171, it takes about a dozen bypass caps for
each side of the filament.  . Total Xc should be less than 1-ohm for each
side of the filament

> If so, what would be too much?

It takes a dipper to find out. Clamp the cap. in a copper-jawed vice and
measure the self resonance freq.   If resonance is within the operating
range, you need a capacitor with less capacitance.
The goal is not to operate any bypass cap. above its resonant freq.
Above resonance a capacitor looks like an inductor.  In other words,
bigger is not always better.
 .
cheers, Bruce