[AMPS] Ameritron ALS600

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Ameritron ALS600
From: rakefet@rakefet.com (Vic Rosenthal)
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 19:52:46 -0800
Lee Roberts wrote:

> I was wondering if there is a "sure-fire" mod for the ALS600 so that my
> Kenwood TS450 won't destroy the finals. According to Ameritron, the Kenwood
> generates a full power spike at key-up which eventually blows the finals
> (Kenwood doesn't acknowledge this, of course).

I would think you could see this on a scope.  That would establish if what they
are telling you is correct.  Perhaps you could make an attenuator so that the
450 would need to be at full output to drive the amplifier.  Then you wouldn't
need to use ALC or worry about accidentally turning the power up too high. ALC
is dangerous because it may not act fast enough.

73,
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA