[AMPS] ameritron al-82

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] ameritron al-82
From: measures@vcnet.com (measures)
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 07:34:48 -0700
>At 06:25 PM 2/15/2000 -0700, you wrote:
>>>
>>It is only true if the amplifier is tuned up at 250w.  If the amplifier
>>was tuned up at 1000w, and then the drive was reduced to 1/4, there would
>>be less circulating current through the contacts with reduced drive.  .
>
>Don't I recall that you (and maybe others) have indicated that this is the
>proper way to tune for best IMD --- set up at full power and then reduce
>the drive?

 Carl Heuther and some others approve tune-up at full smoke - followed by
a small increase in loading.   I doubt that increasing loading a tad
makes a noticable improvement.  The major source of feculence is
undoubtedly solid-state radios - not amplifiers.  For example, 3-500Zs
are typically -40db, while radios are in the low to mid-30s range.

cheers

end