[AMPS] radio may be bad for you

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] radio may be bad for you
From: kh7m@hsa-kauai.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 13:56:07 -1000

>It produces these beneficial negative ions with a lump of
>the gemstone tourmaline. It apparently  extracts moisture
>from the atmosphere and converts it into negative  ions.

Unusual.  Most of the literature on this topic indicate just
the opposite!  An  unbalance toward negative ion concentration
in the air has been reported many times as not conducive
to top performance by people,  nor to feeling of positive
emotions,  just the opposite.  Winds blowing across
dry land masses tend to increase the negative ion
density,  and many people react negatively as the wind
continues to blow.  On the other hand,  water sprayed
through the air;  such as via a large fountain or waterfall
from a mountain stream,  tends to result in an over balance
of positive ions in the air in the vicinity.  People like
to be around fountains and waterfalls.

Years ago,  the US Navy found installing positive ion generators
in submarines,  to neutralize the excessive negative ion
concentration therein,  contributed to better crew performance
and attitude.

Unfortunately positive ions are not that easy to generate.
Most devices generated both negative and positive ions,
then some sort of positively charged screen or plate is added
within the device to attract/capture the generated negative
ions,  and to repel the generated positive ions out into the
surrounding air.  Quite a number of studies were reported
about the "ideal" ratios of positive vs.  negative ions to
be achieved.  Turns out it is difficult to reach the naturally
occurring levels of positive over negatives around such
things as waterfalls!

An electrostatic spark discharge device ionizes the gas
molecules in the air,  generating both positive and negative
ions,  but also generating excess ozone in the environment.
The negative ions can be recaptured,  but the ozone is
an undesired product in a closed environment for people.

I have no idea what technique, if any,  is still used aboard
submarines; all of this was being reported about back in the
1950/60 era,  as was much of the writing about the influence
of ions in the air.

73,  Jim,  KH7M