SV: [AMPS] 4CX800's vs 4CX1600

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: SV: [AMPS] 4CX800's vs 4CX1600
From: sm5ki@algonet.se (sm5ki)
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 11:51:26 +0000
Yes I know.

SVETLANA manufactured ( and still ? ) electrical lamps the first years. But
when you start manufacture a new product there are always starting-up
problems that EIMAC with a  long experience of the 3CX800 have solved now.
>From a badge of new manufactured tubes of the 88 family ( 3CX800, 8873,
8874, 8875, 8877......) only a certain percentage pass through final control
I heard. They are somewhat difficult to manufacture. Therefore they are more
expensive than other tubes.

Our problem with NEW ( NOT SURPLUS ) manufactured 3CX800 SVETLANA tubes is,
that we can not buy the tubes directly from SVETLANA in St. Petersburg only
one night away by a nice boat trip from Stockholm. Which should be much
cheaper than paying extra US customs. US owner and possibly the firm who is
selling in Sweden want their share also. The tubes that are sold surplus are
of course of very high quality as they were made to very tight Soviet
military and commercial standards but there is not the guarantee SVETLANA
provides for new tubes.

The tube world has really changed. I remember many years ago  we found on a
Swedish Baltic beach a Russian made 813 with broken glass that some ship
radio operator had thrown into the sea. We actually did not now then that
you manufactured radio tubes that also at that time were exported.

Is this what should be called " Radio Glasnost "?

73s de Hans