[AMPS] rollers

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] rollers
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2000 09:04:04 -0500
> >Air.
> >
> How?

It flows in from the space around the coil and the coil core because
the coil is suspended between thin support rails. It's amazing new
technology, similar to that used in air insulated transmission lines
and air variable capacitors.

> >The actual problem is the wire gauge and resistivity, and the fact
> >there is little air circulated across the roller winding, which heats
> >primarily from I^2 R losses. As little as 50 watts of heat can ruin an
> >OEP roller. Replace it with a ceramic core roller, and the same
> >dissipation rises to over 125 watts.
>
> How do you measure disipation in the inductor?

A thermometer. There is a direct relationship between temperature
rise and power dissipation.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com