SV: [AMPS] rollers

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: SV: [AMPS] rollers
From: sm5ki@algonet.se (sm5ki)
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2000 21:06:10 +0000
If you need REAL STUFF look out for one of those big Swedish rollers used in
STANDARD RADIOs ship transmitters. New international rules  send many of
them to junk or to the bottom of the big oceans. Still, there are  a few
still around. Compared with these rollers , the ones used in the amateur
world are just toys. I once owned the piL ouput filter from one the QUEEN
ELISABETHs model CT 1000 transmitters and it was just beautiful. BIG rollers
and BIG Jennings vacuum caps. Good for at least 5-7 kilowatts in ham
service, I guess. The power supplies ran on 3-phase with big c-core
transformers. Maybe some commercial ship repairshop still has one of them
for give-away price?

There were many of those rollers in other ship transmitter models  made by
the same firm once owned by ITT.

de Hans