[AMPS] Rocky Point effects

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Rocky Point effects
From: 2@vc.net (measures)
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 22:11:49 -0700

>on 3/10/00 8:52 PM, measures at 2@vc.net wrote:
>
>>> Why don't YOU tell me.  After all, you have all the AMPS archives.
>>
>> This info is in Will's 1M-word grate parasitics debate archive.
>
>You know the answer.  Tell us.
>

>>> Well, gee, Rich.
>>
>> If you bring Jesus Christ into this thread, I'm outta here, Jon. No
>> foolin'.
>
>???????

''gee'' is an alteration of Jesus.

>I'm a person of faith.  But my faith and ham radio amplifiers have nothing
>to do with each other.  So why would I bring it into this thread?

I have no idea.

>What's ur point?
>

>>> Therefore, VHF energy will never reach the
>>> bandswitch.  We've pointed this out to you before, but you always bring up
>>> the resonance in the cap.
>>
>> True.  The Tune-C only acts as a Z-step up transformer when it is
>> slightly off resonance.  In the great debate archive, there is an example
>> that illustrates what seems to be taking place across open contacts in
>> bandswitches during a parasitic event.  If you are interested, I can
>> describe how to find it.
>
>Why not tell us the example itself if you know it?

As I recall, a -1.0-ohm Xc is placed in series with a +1.0001-ohm Xl.
This is connected across a 120v rms  source.  what is the current?  What
is the peak potential across the capacitor?

>>> So, at resonance, the cap would look like something other than a low
>>> impedance to any energy at the frequency of resonance.  However, at any
>>> other frequency, it still looks like it's low impedance.
>>
>> With one L network, Z can be stepped up >10,000 times.  An L network is
>> never ever resonant.
>
>What's the L network?  The plate choke and tune C??

the internal inductance and capacitance of the tune C.

>>> Therefore, in order for the VHF energy to make it to the bandswitch, the
cap
>>> has to be resonant at the anode resonant frequency.
>>
>> no  The cap must be resonant either slightly above or slightly below the
>> anode res. freq.
>
>OK.
>

>>> And I believe that
>>> would be a parallel resonance no a series resonance (I forget).
>>
>> a nearby series.resonance would fill the bill.
>
>I'd agree that nearby would still allow some energy to get to the
>bandswitch.

ok

>>> So if the resonant frequency of the cap is different than the resonant
>>> frequency of the anode, how does the VHF energy make it to the bandswitch?
>>
>> When the Tune-C resonance is nearby it acts like a Z step-up L-network.
>> Dead on the resonance, the Tune-C is a virtual short and the parasitic is
>> a dead duck.  .
>
>You've explained yourself well.  Thank you.

ur welcome, Jon.  tnx

end