[AMPS] Re: Static discharge caused arcs

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: Static discharge caused arcs
From: Carl Clawson" <ws7l@arrl.net (Carl Clawson)
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 07:49:39 -0800

> All antennas should be DC shorted to ground at the receiver input because
of
> another reason: a sometimes much lower level of receiving back-ground
noise.
> de Hans

You're right, and I think if you look at the antenna protectors sold by ICE
or Polyphaser you'll see a choke to ground on the receiver side. The antenna
side I think has a gas discharge tube. (Going from memory here; corrections
welcomed.)

And we certainly need to keep the choke on the tank side of the output
relay. Otherwise the tank floats during receive. With HV on there are
probably enough ions to charge it up and cause arcs.

74, Carl WS7L