SV: [AMPS] Re: Static discharge caused arcs

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: SV: [AMPS] Re: Static discharge caused arcs
From: sm5ki@algonet.se (sm5ki)
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 00:13:19 +0000
I am a radio ham and for me it is much more important to have a quite ham
band then receiving bc stations. Although most transceivers have less
sensitivity on the bc bands, signals are very strong and easily readable
anyway.

Rich now said:"A choke across the load-C is probably not all that useful
because - if
>the DC blocking cap fails, the typical load-C is going to arc to ground
>and blow the mains breaker/fuse." What on earth do you mean now? Pse explain?

Have to remind you all what I said months ago, that the rfc choke across the
load C2 is not only there to (eventually) protect the outside world in case
the DC blocking C short circuits. But this C is in series with  C1 and C2 in
paralell from a DC stand point. These condensers are of course charged up in
the DC steady state and may  the maximum voltage across C2 be exceeded with
certain positions of the C1 and C2 unless the rfc was there and discharged
the C1 and C2. The C2 is the one that most likely flashes over because it in
most amps has less spacing than the C1. C2 once flashed over will after that
have  eventually  a less max voltage because of the wound resulting from the
flash over.

Hej daa de Hans

Reflector" <amps@contesting.com>