[AMPS] Chokes

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Chokes
From: 2@vc.net (measures)
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 07:08:18 -0700

>Someone said:
>
>> The highest L  choke that has no resonances below 30MHz is c. 65uH.
>>

>That isn't true.

Yet another pontification.   The smaller choke in the 8169 amp photo on
my Web site has 65uH.  It is resonant c. 30MHz..

>The resonant frequency varies greatly with capacitance, and how
>that capacitance is distributed.

By measuring choke resonances with a dipmeter, I found that distributed C
varies little whether or not one leaves gaps in the windings.  The radio
guru in Newington who came up with this discovery should have checked it
out with a dipmeter on both types of chokes.  .  .

>  Even what the choke is around
>changes the resonant frequency.
>
>Physically small chokes have much higher series resonant
>frequencies than larger chokes, even when the inductance is the
>same.
>
>Stray capacitance at the middle of the choke is the problem at the
>first resonant frequency, so removing turns there and making an air
>gap will shift the first series resonant frequency higher.

apparently not very much.  End to end coils of wire couple so closely
that they act pretty much like one large coil.  .  Splitting the choke
into two sections and mounting them at right angles is what works.  (see
8169 amp photos)

cheers

end