[AMPS] Re: New G2DAF amplifier information

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: New G2DAF amplifier information
From: jono@enteract.com (Jon Ogden)
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 22:14:30 -0600
on 3/21/00 2:39 PM, Colin Lamb at k7fm@teleport.com wrote:

> "Norm's DAF had semi-ok distortion compared to W6CHR's.  When CHR had his
> fired up on 3908KHz, splatter could be heard 100 miles away from 3990KHz
> to 3805KHz.  Is this awesome or what?"
>
> How many commercial grounded grid amplifiers were heard during the last dx
> constest that were splattering?  Based upon the statements in this reflector
> about those splattering, we should ban all grounded grid amplifiers.
>
> Or, could it have been the operators who were either not competent or did
> not care.

Yeah, really.  MOST of the clowns that hang out on 80 meters all splatter.
Rich's friend probably had his compressor cranked all the way up to the max.
All Rich says is he heard splatter.  Well if splatter is being generated by
the transmitter the amp will only produce it.  I bet Rich's buddy was
creaming his exciter.

I also always wonder why the guys on 80 meters (particularly in CA) need to
run kilowatts to talk to their buddy 5 miles away.

:-)

73,

Jon
KE9NA