[AMPS] Summary of SB-220 operation replies

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Summary of SB-220 operation replies
From: ndavis@vt.edu (Nat Davis)
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 10:54:30 -0400
Last week, I asked for advice in the operation of my newly purchased and
repaired SB-220.  Here is a summary of the responses that I received.
Thanks to all those that sent me email directly.

1.      Lower power on 10 meters is typical.  Higher SWR on input to the amp is
a major contributor to this problem.  Several articles have discussed
modifications to fix the SWR.

2.      Operation in the "SSB" / high voltage switch setting.  General consensus
was that this high/low voltage switch was used to meet the 1970'sFCC power
input limits.  Today's power output limits have eliminated the need to
switch between high and low switch settings.  Everyone that responded said
they routinely operate CW and SSB on the higher SSB switch setting.
Several cautioned against operating in the SSB setting for very high duty
cycles -- might tend to stress the power supply too much.

Thanks again for the input.

73

Nat Davis
N4EL