[AMPS] Dope question

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Dope question
From: 2@vc.net (measures)
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 10:13:14 -0700

>Not that I operate AM, only made 1 qso on that mode...
>
>But can someone explain to me why you can or can't use a linear on AM?   >
100% modulation
>An electronically challenged extra...

You can use a linear on AM.  With a modern radio as the driver, very low
distortion AM is typically produced.  Plate modulation does not produce
nearly as low of a distortion level.  .  It is important to tune up an AM
linear at the max pep output from the exciter, and then to adjust the
carrier control for 25% of max pep.  In typical use, the AM linear will
indicate roughly half of max. anode current under carrier conditions.
With modulation, indicated anode-current should barely wiggle.  At max
pep output, efficiency is around 60%.  A typical 1500w SSB amplifier will
typically make about 375w of carrier with 100% modulation.   Since no
heavy modulation transformer and no modulator ps are needed, AM linears
typically weigh less and are more compact than an old fashioned lashup.

later, Phil.

end