[AMPS] [Fwd: Inrush Current -:)]

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] [Fwd: Inrush Current -:)]
From: philk5pc@tyler.net (Phil Clements)
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 09:06:51 -0500

Subject: Re: [AMPS] [Fwd: Inrush Current -:)]

> >As a matter of practice, in the interest of protecting a very expensive
> >tube, in my home brew 2 meter 8877 amp, inrush current limiting is
> >provided.  A correctly designed, not over rated, filament transformer
> >will do the job nicely.  However, if the current rating of the filament
> >transformer is too high, certainlly inrush current limiting is strongly
> >advised.  (EIMAC makes a point of this.)
> >
> Eimac makes no such point in the 8877 specs.

> -  Rich..., 805.386.3734, www.vcnet.com/measures.

Eimac does not recommend or even acknowledge the "advantages of
nichrome" suppressors in any of their literature. It just seems to help
in some applications. Manufacturer's literature should not discourage the
use of good engineering and operating practices. Hams must take precautions
that commercial services need not bother with, to make designs that survive
the rigors of intermittent multi-band use.

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC