[AMPS] Power handling and loss in Coax cables

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Power handling and loss in Coax cables
From: K3ROJAL@aol.com (K3ROJAL@aol.com)
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 20:46:03 EDT
Over the years after reading and hearing about how different coaxial cables
affect the operation of a station, I have tried them all.  The one coax that
out-performs all of them is the standard cable that is used to bring cable
into your house, ( RG6 ). If high power is to be used, RG11 beats them all.
Don't let the 75 ohm impedance scare you, it makes no difference in the
operation of a station. It is being used in europe in most amateur stations.
Our club station found that changing over to RG6 improved overall performance
in an ATV repeater.  RG6 can be obtained for nothing. Just be brave and ask a
cable installer or at most, buy him a six-pack.