[AMPS] Capacitor

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Capacitor
From: paab@gte.net (Paul and Abbi Elliott)
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 12:39:53 -0700
Bought a capacitor at a flea market that I am trying to identify in hopes
that it would be satisfactory for a plate blocking cap in a legal limit
amplifier.  Put it in series with my 160m antenna lead to test it (on a
dead band in the middle of the day), and it didn't even get warm from a
couple of minutes key down); but since I can only muster about 3 amps in
that set-up, I don't think the test is severe enough to tell me what I want
to know.

Some artist got turned loose on the name on it--has a "C" with some symbol
surrounding it--that all I can figure out, by context, is  supposed to be a
"u" (doesn't look like one to me!) since the last letters are "stom".
Right below the name are the following:

     CMR3A14OSP
     .000625 microfarad plus or minus 5%
     20,000 WVDC
     532036-1
     8720

Physical dimensions are:  1 1/2" W x 5/8" D x 4 1/4" L.  Has 1" x1/2" metal
strap connectors on each end.  Body color is yellow, and the ends are red.

Can someone, who either has the knowledge or catalog information, please
tell me whether the current carrying capacity and dielectric properties are
suitable for a plate blocking capacitor in a legal limit amplifier--about
4000 VDC at 700 ma--from 160m thru 10m?

Thanks for any help.

73

Paul W5DM