[AMPS] Capacitor

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Capacitor
From: philk5pc@tyler.net (Phil Clements)
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 12:49:46 -0500
Subject: Re: [AMPS] Capacitor

> On Tue, 20 Jun 2000 15:30:38 +0200 "Cuypers" <oll02561@online.be> writes:
> >
> >Hello,
> >Can anyone tell me what the RF-current handling capability is of these
> >Murata 30 kV / 2700-3300 pF,  N4700 type blocking capacitors ( from 1,8
> >30Mhz) ? Would they do for padders on 160 and 80 mtr? Does Murata have a
> >Web-site with the specs? Thanks.
> >"73" de Ed on4cfz@online.be

>    The DHS parts are not good for RF.  Their dissipation factor >1% at 1
> MHz and it just gets worse as the frequency increases.

Also, there is no "stablization" of temperature on a padder capacitor.
Since the current is constantly changing, so is the heat generated.
This result can be seen in constantly changing Ig, Ip, and power out.
I have had good luck with the old,big transmitting mica caps from
WW-II era transmitters/tuners. Ameritron now uses modern micas
for padders in their amps, and sell them at a reasonable price.
GL!
Phil, K5PC