[AMPS] Semi-OT Power supply question

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Semi-OT Power supply question
From: w2ge@home.com (Phil Levin W2GE)
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 19:39:55 -0400
Little off topic but....I know you guys will have an answer for me.

I have a backup 20 amp power supply that I normally run my packet 2 meter
radio and a second two meter radio for FM simplex to rag-chew with some
local DXers/FRCers.

Anyway I used this power supply over the weekend for field day (nominal,
it's only 20 amp rated, by Stabylex Elec. Corp.) and noticed on Sunday
morning (after say 16 hrs usage) that one of the 2N3055 transistors was
BURNING hot, the other one in that pair was hot, another pair were only
warm. (total of four in the supply)  My questions...

Can it just be a bad transistor or is that just a symptom of an internal
problem????  Is there something internal in the power supply that may have
changed value to cause this transistor to be carrying way to much load; or
do I simply just change the pair?  Already picked up a pair at Active
Electronics for $3.00.

Thanks in advance, de Phil W2GE