[AMPS] Coil heating

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Coil heating
From: rfamps@ic24.net (Steve Thompson)
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 15:34:07 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Chadwick <Peter_Chadwick@mitel.com>
To: Mark Marsden <MM@plextek.co.uk>; amps@contesting.com
<amps@contesting.com>; rfamps@ic24.net <rfamps@ic24.net>; 'Phil Clements'
<philk5pc@tyler.net>
To: <amps@contesting.com>
Date: 26 June 2000 05:23
Subject: RE: RE: [AMPS] Coil heating

>Phil says,
>
>> If the multiple conductors are bare, and twisted
>>together, the RF will travel only on the outside of the outer skin
>>surfaces
>
>Yes, no argument. But Steve said (in his original post) that the insulation
>burned off, so he had individually insulated conductors.

That's so - the wire was the regular stuff with self fluxing varnish. I've
used it with high rf voltages and high rf currents without any problems
before, so I don't think the varnish is lossy enough to account for this.
Clearly, the current distribution in wires in a twisted bundle, and/or
within each wire, isn't even.

Thanks to all for the various comments along the way. I'll try not to use
'litz' in such a sloppy fashion in the future.

Steve