[AMPS] SSR's reforming electrolytic caps

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] SSR's reforming electrolytic caps
From: philk5pc@tyler.net (Phil Clements)
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 10:23:44 -0500

> With modern foil technology if leakage is excessive, the capacitor
> has already failed and will always be unreliable. I'm not sure what
> others in manufacturing have seen, but I've never seen an
> electrolytic recover from an age related failure. I've never seen a
> good electrolytic need "reforming" even when stored for years, or a
> bad one that was reliable in use (especially in a series string).

Trying to "reform" capacitors reminds me of the old days in the B&W TV
business. We all carried a black box called a picture tube rejuvenator.
This added a few hours to the life of the tube, but replacement was
inevitable.  I know of no magic elixir or procedure to  restore a capacitor
back to life for any length of time.

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC