[AMPS] 2000 ARRL Handbook question

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 2000 ARRL Handbook question
From: Peter_Chadwick@mitel.com (Peter Chadwick)
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 08:22:51 +0100
Rich says:

>>There was no great difference between them at VHF, but at HF the
>>nichrome had much lower Q (as would be expected).
>>
>EUR  Tom --  your theory that the resistance of nickel-chromium alloys
>Increases with a decrease in frequency is not supported by any published
>measurement.

Rich, you've lost me here. To me Q is (in this context) XL/r. Let's have r
constant with frequency; XL increases with frequency. Therefore the Q of an
inductor rises as the frequency goes up, doesn't it? And falls as the frequency
(i.e. XL) goes down.

Now if the material has a permeability other than 1, resistance will rise as the
frequency goes up, but Q will still drop as frequency goes down. Isn't this what
Tom said?

If you put a resistor across the nichrome inductor, then the value that Q can
reach is limited, and the parallel impedance is, in the limit, the value of
parallel resistance.

73

Peter G3RZP