[AMPS] Bargain basement broadband tetrode amp

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Bargain basement broadband tetrode amp
From: da_kang@hotmail.com (Jeff Wolf)
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 12:29:41 GMT
The 4CX250 amp looks like a CB amplifier Skipp.

>>>Actually, it looks like a Pride DX-300.  A tuned input, 80 to 10 meter
>>>amateur radio amplifer.  One of the cleanest amps I have seen come from a
>>>production environment.  App 20 dB gain, clean, parasitic free,
>>>completely adjustable bias...  Yep, seems like the average CB amplifier.

It certainly can't
be a very good amp for ham radio.

>>>Why not?  Because it has high gain?  If you don't want the gain, Pride
>>>made another (to compliment the FT 101 and similiar series of radios,
>>>called the KW-1 (1 Kw input).  It used an untuned grid, just swamped with
>>>R.  THAT seems more like a CB amplifier to me.

It takes 1-5 watts of drive, and worse yet has no screen regulation,
current limiting, or metering.

>>>People could say the same of the current amateur amplifiers that don't
>>>have parasitic suppressors, replace tubes an inordinate amount of times,
>>>and the such.

>>>The Pride amplifiers have metering jacks on the back.  The front panel
>>>has nothing but a wattmeter.  If you want metering, you have grid
>>>current, plate current and screen current metering on the front.  The
>>>Pride also has a LED Screen current indicator on the front panel.  I was
>>>leary of this at first, but after studing the schematic, I have found
>>>that it works quite well.  On the air reports indicate the same.

I certainly hope not many are used on amateur bands!

>>>Why?  Looks a H3LL of a lot more stable and harmonic free than the DAF
>>>series of amplifiers, and I am a fan of the DAF design.  Or some of the
>>>homebrew amps I have heard on the bands.

It looks like a copy of a CB amplifier marketed under the guise of a
"amateur linear" by a company that sold out-of-band crystals for
CB radio's in the 70's and early 80's.

>>>Actually, Pride was a manufacturer of amplifiers and VFO's, as well as
>>>frequency counters and the like.  They where owned (all or in part) by
>>>Palomar Electronics in Escondido, California.  They where also heavily
>>>influenced by a member of this reflector, and a current day businessman
>>>that works in the RF field, still.

>>>One of the "neatest" things about the Pride series of electronics was
>>>their slogan  "Manufactured by the handicapped with Pride"  (that may not
>>>be the exact slogan..  My amplifier is at home, and I can't look in the
>>>back to see while I am at work).

>>>Bottom line is that the Pride was and still is, one of the best high
>>>gain, ceramic tube amplifiers EVER produced.  The power output, gain,
>>>reliability and other things have proven that it is a capable little
>>>powerhouse, and it was cheap.

>>>Have a nice day Tom.  Maybe your company should investigate the 4CX250 or
>>>350 series of tubes.  They are darn near idiot proof.

--Toll Free