[AMPS] Toll Free

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Toll Free
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 22:15:45 -0400
> wondering if I could use the same technique to cut insertion losses on the
> receive side of the switch at VHF/UHF. Are the losses a function of the
> diodes or just the stray reactances in the rest of the design?

It's hard to say, without seeing the layout and components, where
the loss is. Certainly most of the loss, if the system uses the
correct components, should be in the diodes.

I wouldn't use a series DC path, however, because it would reduce
the hold-off voltage. For receiving, I'd be sure the system was
matched and parasitic losses were as low as possible. Be sure
you use the lowest on-resistance diodes consistent with the
voltage hold-off required.

Then if you have too much series resistance, parallel more diodes
and run more current, using some method of equalizing currents
without adding needless parasitic losses.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com