[AMPS] latching relay

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] latching relay
From: aa4hp@titustek.com (Hank Phillips)
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 11:25:10 -0400
A latching relay will hold it's state, even in the event of a power failure
for example, until it is changed by a "set" or "reset" (to borrow flip-flop
terminology) pulse.  Most latching relays do this through two separate
coils, one to close and one to open the relay.  Steering diodes can be
installed which make it possible to flip the relay with only a single pair
of control wires, the state of the relay being determined by the polarity
of the setting pulse.

A latching relay is suitable for most applications where the state of the
relay needs to be maintained in unpredictable power supply situations, such
as an overload trip relay.  I like them for antenna switching, since it
minimizes the possibility your expensive amplifier could be subjected to an
unplanned antenna transfer when trying to work the P5.

best 73,

Hank