[AMPS] Amp using 833A

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Amp using 833A
From: 2@vc.net (measures)
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 15:36:30 -0700

>> >Everyone keeps talking about "mu".
>> >
>> >Why?
>>
>> Because in g-g config., the lower the Mu the harder to drive.  Because in
>> grid-driven config., the higher the Mu, the lower the peak anode current.
>>  In grid-driven linear service high-Mu triodes produce little power.   In
>> my opinion, a real amplifier expert would know this.  > cheers, Tom.
>
>We have different opinions.

It goes deeper than that, Tom.  We have way different educations.

>In my opinion, a real amplifier expert would know a GG amplifier's
>gain is primarily set by the ratio of driving impedance to output
>impedance, and not by mu.
>
>Mu is the dominant factor when the stage does not have heavy
>negative feedback, like in a grid driven stage.

Nothing but heavy grid current or divine intervention can make a medium
Mu triode draw much anode current.  As I recall, we went through this
milarkey before when you were claiming that the 3CX3000A7 high-mu triode
could be operated as a grid driven linear.  In truth it can. P out is c.
100w.

When are we going to discuss the 8877 that failed from gold sputtering in
an AL-1500 amplifier?  When are you going to explain in detail why the
8877 supposedly needs no suppressor?

you are one piece of work, Mr. Rauch.

end