[AMPS] collins 30L - 1

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] collins 30L - 1
From: philk5pc@tyler.net (Phil Clements)
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 14:55:48 -0500
> > I received a collins 30L-1.  The ham who gave it to me said it had not
> > been on in over 20 years.  I replaced several parts (cap, rest, etc)
> > including the 811A tubes.  The key down on most of the bands is about 700
> > watts or less.

I would say the amp is working like "Gang-Busters," Dan.
If you have a manual, you will find that the length of coax between the exciter
and the amp is very critical in length to obtain optimum uotput on all bands.

> The rated dissipation per 811A anode is 65w max. 811As tend to melt holes
> in the anodes when keyed down   If you don't have a free supply of new
> tubes, it might be a good idea to tune with a tuning pulser.

If you don't have a pulser, just set your CW keyer at very high speed, and
hold the "dot" side down while tuning.

> > I was wondering it the transformer might be bad.  The D.C
> > volts is about 1800.  Do any of you have and suggestions.  I am driving
> > this amp with 100 watts from a Kenwood ts-820.

1800 volts under load, with 700 watts out looks great to me too.

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC