[AMPS] collins 30L - 1

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] collins 30L - 1
From: K0FF@ARRL.NET (K0FF)
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 16:23:50 -0500
Dan, congratulations on aquiring the 30L1. It's a fine amp, and has some
unique features. First of all, 700 Watts is right in the ballpark. Don't
forget when this little gem came out, the rules read "1kW input" for hams/
The 811A's with their 65 W plate dissipation are well matched to the PSU in
the 30L1, altough lots of fellas retube them eventually with the 572B/T160L
which of course has 160W plate dissipation. Net results are about the same,
again limited by the power transformer. The two Collins amps, 30L-1 and
30S-1, are the only units that I've ever seen with phase comparator tuning.
The way I understand the theory is that when any amp is perfectly tuned, the
input phase is in synch with the output phase. By monitoring this with a
discriminator, you just tune untill the meter reads zero. That' s why the
needle never goes to the full left pin, even when the unit is powered down.
It would have been wasteful to provide a full zero center meter because the
negative excursuion is small. Bottom line it is lightning fast to
confidently tune it. Personally I can't speak as to it's ability to go on
the Warc bands. When I used one, the were no Warc bands hihi.
I've always found the 30L-1 to be a tame and clean amp, especially
importantwhen used a  buffer. The phrase "L" Network goes back to the old
crew that used a 30L-1 as a buffer into a tube with handles. 70Watts is the
normal drive level.

Enjoy, Geo>K0FF