[AMPS] Bird meters

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Bird meters
From: kh7m@hsa-kauai.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2000 21:12:15 -1000

Peter wondered:

> Does anyone know if Bird thruline meters are linear meters
> (i.e. deflection directly proportional to current) with a non-linear
> scale, or if they are non-linear meters (i.e. deflection proportional
> to a function  of current) with a non-linear scale?

Well,  the element circuit appears as a simple AM detector;
diode,  shunt cap to gnd,  with a series R into the micro-
ammeter.  Therefore,  would not the current be the usual
square-law relation?  The meter scale is clearly non-linear;
for example,  the top scale to "10" is about 100 degrees of
deflection; going on to "20" is only around another 40 degrees,
or so.

So,  would appear to be that the deflection is proportional
to a function of the current,  that is it's square.

But,  I may be looking at this incorrectly,  or maybe do
not understand the question,  hi.

73,  Jim,  KH7M