[AMPS] AL80A. 160m=QRT

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] AL80A. 160m=QRT
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2000 18:32:32 -0400
> I just bought an AL80A.
> All bands are working well at exception of 160m.
> After a quick inspection I founded the reason why:
> The additionnal Plate capacitor (C15 170pF doorknob) is broken and the
> contacts of the rotating connector S1C (both) are completely molten and
> distroyed.  I dont know the reason of the failure.
>  -Is it due to high VSWR at antenna port?

That is one possible cause!

>  -Is it due to bad band selection (the previous owner tried to tune
> the AL80A with the 160m bandswitch selection on an other frequency band?

That is unlikely.

>  -Is it due to default in conception of the AL80A?

Sometimes the padding capacitor is defective. That generally
doesn't cause a switch failure. Most likely the RF load was poor or
became disconnected, or perhaps someone switched bands with
RF applied. On rare occasion the padding capacitor is not up to
voltage breakdown specification.

You might get Ameritron to ship the parts to Greensboro if you
have an address there.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com