[AMPS] MFJ-259B Question

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] MFJ-259B Question
From: 2@vc.net (measures)
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 19:31:58 -0700

>Great!  I see that rather than dealing with the factual
>issue concerning the ethics of marketing a product of
>dubious value simply because of a market demand you
>chose to resort to your normal tactics ... (1) ignore the
>evidence that doesn't support your position (2) change
>the topic (3) engage in name calling (4) make snide
>remarks <chortle!>

Snide remarks require a source of high-quality fodder.

>In case it matters, I have met Tom fewer than half a
>dozen times ... generally at one hamfest or another ...
>in 30 plus years as a licensed amateur.  I own only
>one MJF product (an inexpensive digital clock).
>
>As one who was involved behind the scenes several
>years ago in producing a product for the amateur
>market, I respect the effort it takes to build and
>market a product with reasonable quality at a price
>acceptable to the average (cheap) amateur.
>
>Compromises between cost and quality must be made ...

Leaving out the glitch resistor is hardly good engineering practice -
even though it saves around $.65.

>of course you are free to put your MONEY where your
>MOUTH is and actually market a real amplifier.  If
>you are right, amateurs will be standing in line for
>the Measures Amplifier at $4500+ per copy vs. $3000
>for a similar "inferior" product.

I toyed with the idea of building 100, 8171 general coverage amplifiers
based on the Ugly Amplifier design.  Parts would have cost over $4500 per
unit.  But alas, I am too old and I have high mileage.

cheers, Joe.

end