[AMPS] Commercial amp design on AMPS

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Commercial amp design on AMPS
From: Wt8r@aol.com (Wt8r@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 17:52:54 EDT
In a message dated 10/16/00 3:28:32 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
kc5ajx@hotmail.com writes:

>  Hey Dave
>  I agree with you. I wished more manufacturers and or designers would
>  participate in forms like this. But the reason they don't is the personal
>  attacks like Tom puts up with and the general BS on here.
>  Alot of stuff on here is too technical for me and goes right over my head
>  but I do learn a little on here. The problem with this list is that when
>  some one asks a question or makes a statement it goes on for ever and
>  deviates from the original question or statement and goes into insults and
>  BS.
>  I will follow a thread for a few days then delete all further posts on
that
>  thread as it is general useless junk and no longer pertains to the
original
>  thread. I probably miss a few gems doing this, but I would rather do this
>  than spend my time reading junk.
>  73
>  Rick
>  KC5AJX
>

>  >
>  >Sometimes I'm surprised at what people complain about.  Is W8JI
>  >soliciting inputs on how to design a commercial amplifier?  Maybe.
>  >Only he knows the answer as a certainty.  For the 25+ years I've been a
>  >ham, one of the most often-heard complaints is that manufacturers never
>  >listen to hams when they design products.  Here's a designer of amateur
>  >products, making himself highly visible, tolerating some fairly
>  >personal attacks, and letting us (potential customers) see his thinking
>  >process as he develops a product.
>  >
>  >And somebody thinks there's something wrong with this?
>  >
>  >Personally, I'd like to encourage Tom to continue to solicit the inputs
>  >from potential purchasers.  I only wish more manufacturers would do the
>  >same.
>  >
>  >Regards,
>  >
>  >Dave W8NF

-----------------------------------

Personally I don't give a hang whether Tom uses the Amps reflector to HELP
him design amplifiers or not.

What I have a problem with is the high handed manner with which we are told
that this design philosophy must be followed or that we don't know our sitter
from a toroid.  The pontification that Tom spews out certainly scares off
many who would like to learn some of the knowledge available here as seen
above.

One might think that Tom owns this list and will decide who is qualified to
participate and who isn't.

73 de

Dave, WT8R