[AMPS] High-SWR protection

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] High-SWR protection
From: k7fm@teleport.com (Lamb)
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 18:04:14 -0800
The rig in question was an Drake TR-5.  The rig failed.  The coax was found
shorted.  I replaced the finals and checked the foldback circuit.  It worked
properly.  Not too much later, I repaired an Atlas 210X that had the same
apparent cause of failure.

I did not do any further experimenting to duplicate the condition, but it
was apparent that the shorted coax precipitated the failure, even though the
swr protection circuit was otherwise working normally.

For the ultimate protection of a solid state rig, I always use a fast acting
circuit breaker along with the swr protection circuit.

73,  Colin  K7FM