[AMPS] High-SWR protection

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] High-SWR protection
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 17:40:40 -0500

> In this case, you were so anxious to criticize you put words into the
> statement.

Nice remark Colin!

I'm not "anxious to criticize", the statement in the Ten Tec manual
is simply incorrect.

Reactance causes reflected voltage to appear in the directional
coupler just as much as resistance errors do. That's a simple fact
that is often misunderstood.

> I have spent time on the test bench with directional couplers and even
> published a construction article on the subject.

Excellent. Then you know even with a short they will output voltage
that will shut the rig down, and they will indicate reactance in the
load just as well as resistance errors.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com