[AMPS] RF Choke

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] RF Choke
From: i4jmy@iol.it (Maurizio Panicara)
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2000 12:30:25 +0100
About ten years ago, owning an ham shop with lab. repair, the most common
problem in TL922 and SB220 was the bandswitches damage (contact fingers) but
also the opened grid coil that acted like a fuse (counted at lest 50 cases)
wasn't so rare or impossible like sentenced by some of the claims, here.
Agreable that a grid trip or a better fusing method would be a better choice
than the very thin wire of a coil, I don't see any other protection in the
original layout of the named amplifiers.

73,
Mauri I4JMY

PS: Hardly the grid circuit introduces negative feedback because operative
band (HF) is very off the circuit resonance and inductance high. What counts
at HF is if capacitors reactance is neglactable or not at the frequency in
use. In such occurrence, neglectable reactance, the coil is there only to
establish a DC path.