[AMPS] RF Choke

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] RF Choke
From: 2@vc.net (measures)
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2000 00:59:12 -0800

>> I think what happened to you was probably caused by defective
>> capacitors.
>>
>> 73,
>> Mauri I4JMY
>>

>> Well, in the name of actually learning something, I will pick some caps up
>> at the store next time, and replace the original Heath grid circuit (LC)..
>>  I still have the chokes, etc.
>
>1.) If the capacitors make no difference in gain, as Mauri claims,
>then they don't serve the function claimed by proponents of using
>them......

Orr did not claim they made a difference in gain.

> and so they can be removed with no ill effects. There is no
>reason to leave them in.

Grid fusing is way cheaper than new tubes.

>2.) If the capacitors act like they do in all the amps I've seen (that
>has been dozens of amps), then they need removed to help
>performance.

You apparently have not seen a SB-220.  There is no significant
performance difference.

>Looks like either way the best solution is to get rid of them,
>because they either do nothing at all or they hurt the system.

Unless protected by a fusing device, 3-500Zs tend to short.  Thus, grid
fusing might be worthwhile - except for those who have a free supply of
new 3-500Zs.

cheers

end