[AMPS] Grounds

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Grounds
From: i4jmy@iol.it (Maurizio Panicara)
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 22:33:43 +0100
On my opinion it has a small meaning talking about potentials between ground
and neutral, what counts is the amount of current that eventually flows and
this has to be kept minimal.
Differential safety switches (few mA) are just and obligatory installed at
houses and plants (E.C. rule) to dectect and stop disperded current flows,
i.e because of defective isolament of some appliance, from phase to ground
instead between phase and neutral like it should be.
In Italy, the neutral is grounded at houses basement or at transformer site
(15Kv-380V) if closer than a stated distance that insures low ohmic
resistance between the two grounds.
The differential switch is actually placed between a local ground point and
the neutral wire, naturally, to make the system working properly  the best
is when the resistance between neutral ground and local ground is minimal
and the optimal case is when they came from the same point.
In any case, it's now impossible to "get free" more than a few mA, and risks
for people are minimized .

73,
Mauri I4JMY