[AMPS] Grounds

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Grounds
From: Peter_Chadwick@mitel.com (Peter Chadwick)
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 10:22:04 -0000
Thanks for all the comments.

Here we have a totally different system The power line down the street is
usually buried, and has 3 phases and a neutral. The neutral is grounded in
various places, but not necessarily at the house. However, the ground leads and
metalwork in the house can be connected to the neutral - it depends on whether
or not one has what is called 'Protective Multiple Earthing'. This can give
major problems if you've an external ground and one gets a ruptured neutral.  In
country areas, one can have a 2 phase line (i.e. 2 of the 3 phases) distributed
around. So we always get neutral and phase, which gives a NOMINAL 240 or
therabouts. NOMINAL means just that and it can vary wildly! The neutral is
theoretically at ground, but when I lived in town, I could get 24 volts at 1/2
amp free from neutral to ground.......

Where I am now, the neutral is grounded on the pole outside the house; the house
has a separate ground rod to provide the ground, and the neutral is usually
within a volt of ground. Fortunately, we don't get the lightning problems you
guys abroad get....

Thanks agn for the info.

73

Peter G3RZP