[AMPS] Spark-plug gaps

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Spark-plug gaps
From: ccc@space.mit.edu (Chuck Counselman)
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 01:28:21 -0500
I have a nice lightning-arrestor for parallel open-wire transmission-line
that I bought from (I think) Press Jones, "The Wireman."  This device uses
a pair of Champion spark plugs, one for each wire, for spark gaps.
Assuming that I know the RMS RF voltage at this point on on my transmission
line (between each wire and ground), how should I set the spark-plug gaps
so that they won't arc over during normal operation with a high-power amp?
(See, this question does belong on AMPS.)

At <http://www.omnitronix-inc.com/spark.htm> I found advice for setting a
gap between smooth spherical electrodes.  However, spark-plug electrodes
are not spherical; they have sharp corners, which I expect makes them arc
at a lower voltage.

-Chuck W1HIS