[AMPS] Re: Hi Power Connectors

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: Hi Power Connectors
From: Jan.E.Holm@telia.se (Jan.E.Holm@telia.se)
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 07:34:06 +0100

      Well all limits sure can be stretched. I been runing more then
      2 kW on 144 MHz using N connectors with no problem, as
      long as they are dry inside, but I would not recomend it since
      ofcourse it´s way above the limit and therefor not safe.

      Rich said: That N doesn´t leak water. Well, sure they do. At
      least where I live all connectors (even properly installed) will
      leak water. However, 7/16 seems to be the best out of the
      bunch in that respect.
      You need to waterproof. I use first one layer of electric tape
      then one layer of this rubber tape stuff that sort of glues
      together (don´t know the English name) then finaly another
      layer of electric tape. That joint can be permanently in water
      an not leak.
      Now, if we only are talking low power (1 - 2 kW on HF) I  worry
      too much, N UHF or whatever will work. You can even just twist
      the ends together (no connector at all (hi) and it will work just
fine.
      On HF nobody will ever notice.

      73, Jim SM2EKM