[AMPS] Re: Hi Power Connectors

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: Hi Power Connectors
From: Jan.E.Holm@telia.se (Jan.E.Holm@telia.se)
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 08:01:52 +0100

I use SHUNER N crimp connector, will not have the problem
you describe below, will grip both braid and inner conductor.
Instead of RG8 or RG213 use RG214 which is double braided.
For rotor loops RG217 is excelent cable, will handle 1000W
continious on 144 MHz and many many many KW on HF.
Don´t use the "solder" type of N or UHF connectors, the pro´s
use only crimp connectors these days (at least for N and UHF)

73, Jim SM2EKM

Ian said:
> With the "UHF" the problems is manufacturing quality of the cheaper
> ones, as Ian says... so buy MIL-spec ones.

I buy my PL-259's from VanGorden Engineering in Euclid Ohio.

He sells reasonably priced teflon connectors that fit everything just
fine. They will hold off more than 10 kW, the cable will fail long
before the connector.

Even regular Amphenol 259's are fine for high power, and the Van
Gorden connectors are overkill...and less expensive.

> With N, the manufacturing quality is generally good, but there can be
big
> problems with the way we hams use them. When a loose-pin type of plug
is
> fitted without a cutting jig, the pin can wind up a long way from the
> correct position, and sooner or later it will pull back or push
through.

N connectors are a poor mechanical design. They do not grip the
cable, so you have to be very careful not only in how you install
them but in the type of cable you use.

Many types of cables have very flexible jackets. This allows the
braid to slide on inner dielectric. The outer part of the N friction
fits
the jacket with a poor mechanical grip,

I've actually found premium grades of RG-8 style cables that won't
fit UHF fittings (which screw onto the outer insulation) properly. The
outer jacket is soft, and this prevents the braid and connector from
staying in place. Use a cable like that on an N, and you are
screwed! And some of those cables are expensive!

Not only does the connector not fit well, the cable will deteriorate
rapidly for loss. That's because the braid requires compacting
pressure to maintain electrical integrity through the weaves.
Remember the skin effect forces current to the INSIDE surface of