[AMPS] Hi Power Connectors

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Hi Power Connectors
From: i4jmy@iol.it (i4jmy@iol.it)
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 15:16:56 +0100

> Suhner of Switzerland rate type N connectors at
>
> 5100 watts at 20MHz and below with 1.0 SWR, 4200 watts at 1.2 SWR.
> 1900 watts at 150Mhz with 1.0SWR, 1500 watts at 1.2SWR
> 1100watts at 450MHz with 1.0 SWR,  800 watts at 1.2 SWR
> 500 watts at 2GHz with 1.0SWR, 400 watts at 1.2 SWR
>
> No ratings are given for BNC, and they don't make type C.
>
> 7/16 connectors are 'only' rated for 12kW at a 1.0SWR at 20MHz and
below!

> Personally, I  wouldn't be particularly happy about putting 10 amps
even at 50Hz
> through a mated pair of N connectors........still, those are  the
ratings.

> 73
>
> Peter G3RZP

If the contact resistance is low enough not to produce a noticeable
(dangerous) heat along itself, within reasonable limits, pin size alone
and its receptacle aren't enough to determine the effective current
capability.
When a connector doesn't introduce discontinuities along a transmission
line (a time domain terminology), its current capability decreases much
less rapidly with frequency than to what happens to larger contacts of
worse connectors that behave as less "transparent" to RF.

73,
Mauri I4JMY