[AMPS] SWR Protection

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] SWR Protection
From: ccc@space.mit.edu (Chuck Counselman)
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 13:07:05 -0500
Dave D'Epagnier" <DAVED@ctilidar.com> wrote:
>Steve, why do you want to know the instantaneous forward and reflected
>power? You really wouldn't need this to implement an effective SWR
>protection function, unless you expect that your SWR varies extremely
>rapidly which probably is not the case.

SWR varies extremely rapidly when something in the
transmission-line-antenna system arcs over.

In a high-power radar that I once used, "SWR" sensing was able to shut off
the PA within one microsecond.  That system used no microprocessor.  I
suspect that it did not compute SWR at all, but responded only to reflected
power.  Offhand I don't see why an amp-protection circuit shouldn't be
triggered directly by a reflected-power detector, without benefit of
microprocessor.

-Chuck W1HIS