[AMPS] SWR Protection

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] SWR Protection
From: w7ti@jps.net (Bill Turner)
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 19:43:21 -0800
On Fri, 01 Dec 2000 22:31:15 +0000, Steve wrote:

>Hi Bill, every time I transmitted into the wrong antenna the forward power on
>the meter goes higher and the reflected power does the same.

Ok, then your meter isn't really measuring power.  It's measuring
voltage while ASSUMING a fixed resistance of 50 ohms, therefore
displaying the result as if it were true power.

Your proposed method will be better than nothing, but be aware there
are various faults in the coax and/or antenna which could cause a
lowering of the measured voltage together with increased current which
might also be damaging to the transistors.

The bottom line is, for max protection, measure both voltage and
current at the output and make the protective circuit trip if either
one increases beyond the set point.

73, Bill W7TI