[AMPS] SWR Protection

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] SWR Protection
From: w7ti@jps.net (Bill Turner)
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2000 19:38:35 -0800

On Sun, 3 Dec 2000 20:55:14 -0500, Tom Rauch wrote:

>What fault condition can do that Bill? I certainly can't think of one!

An antenna or coax fault which causes the monitored voltage to rise
and the current to fall, which would make the "apparent" power the
same or similar if the two were summed.  This could be anything from a
blown trap to a fallen dipole wire to an open in the coax somewhere.
Lots of possibilities.  Monitoring the voltage and current separately
would instantly detect such a fault, where monitoring the sum of the
two might not.

As I recall, the gentleman was concerned about fault monitoring above
and beyond the normal.  In my own rig, I don't have any fault
monitoring at all except for grid overdrive.  But I do watch the SWR
meter like a hawk and that's all I need.  Others may want more.

73, Bill W7TI