[AMPS] SWR Protection

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] SWR Protection
From: ccc@space.mit.edu (Chuck Counselman)
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 08:01:29 -0500
Peter Chadwick <Peter_Chadwick@mitel.com> wrote:
>Chuck said:
>
>>In a high-power radar that I once used, "SWR" sensing was able to shut off
>>the PA within one microsecond.
>
>I worked on a satellite ground station tx some 35 years ago. (10kW CW at
>6GHz).
>That had a fibre optic  cable looking down the waveguide towards the
>antenna; if
>an arc started because of excessive VSWR, the light was detected in a 931A
>photomultiplier and used to shut the RF down in under 1 microsecond. The arc
>would run along the guide until it hit the TWT output window. As the TWT's
>price
>in today's money was about $500K, it was worth protecting......
>
>73
>
>Peter G3RZP

The radar that I mentioned also had a photomultiplier looking down the
waveguide.  This was Haystack Observatory's planetary radar, which (at the
time) put out several hundred kW at 8 GHz, _CW_, by means of two Varian
klystrons.  In addition to sensing RF faults, the radar had DC fault
sensing that could discharge the large roomful of filter cap's of the 1-MW
DC power-supply into a spark gap.  The sound of that crowbar firing was
enough to stop your heart.  I've forgotten the numbers now, but I recall
that the energy stored in that capacitor bank was comparable to that of a
stick of dynamite.  The EMP would stop every computer in the building, too.

73 de Chuck W1HIS